Friday, November 23, 2007

Digging Out The Chirstmas Tunes

Turkey Day is over - we ate, we sipped, we retreated to the sofa. This years Thanksgiving was a wonderful day, filled with peppermint mochas and turkeys and family and wine and three glorious pies. My mom and dad make three pies this year and, well, there was no way around it, I had to sample each one. My yams and cranberries turned out amazing, and I am glad because I lost the cranberry recipe that I had from last year and was just going off of memory. Probably got lost in the move. In case you are in need of a wonderful cranberry sauce recipe, just follow these simple directions:

Cranberry Sauce
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Ingredients:

{1} bag of fresh cranberries (about 4 cups)
{1} cup of white granulated sugar
{1} cup of water
The zest of 1 orange
Cinnamon powder
A couple cinnamon sticks

Directions:
In a short wide sauce pan, boil the water and then slowly stir in the sugar until dissolved. Then add in the fresh cranberries and return to a boil. Simmer the cranberries in the sugar water for 15 minutes or so (I usually do like 20 minutes so the cranberries not only burst, but also turn pretty soft). During that time you can add the zest of one orange, about 5 or 6 good shakes of cinnamon powder and just throw in couple cinnamon sticks. I leave the cinnamon sticks in the pot, and then even when I transfer it all into the serving bowl for extra great taste.

After you transfer it into a serving bowl, stick it in the fridge to chill and it will really firm up as it chills. It is soo good! The orange zest is what really makes the difference in the taste.

It's getting to look a lot like Christmas...


So now that Thanksgiving is over I am starting on a new Christmas craft, however I am not making this on up as I go like the Halloween ones. These paper ornament kit crafts from Basic Grey came out with last year, and I had been pining ever since I saw them and finally picked up a couple packs on eBay.

Some are stars and some are balls and I plan to hang them from same arches that I hung the Halloween paper ornaments. I will post how they turn out. I started on the stars so far - it took me forever to figure out how the pieces fit together. Hopefully they will turn out like the picture!

3 comments:

Erika said...

They are going to be pretty!

Chelsea said...

I made that cranberry sauce on Thanksgiving, and it was SO easy and SO yummy!! Thanks for the recipe it was awesome.

Chelsea said...

I can't wait to see the decorations :) Beautiful paper. Are you still going to make something similar to those decorations we saw in that paper store on Fillmore?