Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sweet Summer

Summer is coming... the days are longer and the nights are warmer. While on the patio a gust of hot afternoon air swirled around me. The breeze with it's gentle hands, guiding a Chinese beetle donning it's iridescent costume stayed spiraling around me, finally disappearing above the honeysuckle. When I was a little girl my dad and I used to catch them in the summer time and tie a loop of string around a foot. We'd fly them in the air like a kite.

Last night's air was still and warm and sweet. As I lied in bed in my summer night dress the birds were having a conversation of their own. Mockingbirds sang their imitations in the still of the evening. I could hear the soft breathing of my cats at my feet.

Outside our front door is a huge magnolia tree, which would be great to climb. Bending down to my level was a branch adorning this particular magnolia flower, of which the bees were loving. Mesmerized I watched the bees scramble gathering pollen in the morning sun, cats circling my legs. Summer I am ready for you! Ready for sun tea and berries, lavender evenings and June bugs. They say kids have the summer for their own. But I am a July baby. The summer is always mine.

1 comment:

Erika said...

I like the bees in the magnolia petal. Pretty. I am glad you were able to find time to enjoy all the nature around you. I feel like sometimes I get so busy, I forget to notice it, you know?