Saturday, May 31, 2008

Saturdays Are Good For...

I was introduced to a new tea concoction that I just cant get enough of - peppermint and chamomile together with honey. It is so good! I am really not a fan of either tea on it's own, but together and with the honey it is incredible. Try it and you'll be hooked, and make sure to use lots of honey.
Billy and I strolled down to the Farmers Market this morning and I started noticing how this time of year brings out some different vendors than I remember seeing. More jams and breads and fruits than usual, and even cappuccinos. I know there are a lot of farmer's markets that are probably a lot more fun and have a ton more to choose from than our little Vista Farmer's Market but hey, I can walk there in 5 minutes. With a husband that likes to hold hands. What more can I say? Actually, the Vista Farmer's Market is the longest running Farmer's Market in the county, which makes it a little bit special.

We toted a bag of organic apples, peaches, renunculas, scone mix and beets home up the street just as it started getting a little bit too warm. Tomorrow night is beet cooking experimentation night, and from what I have been told cooking them with sugar makes them taste the best. And for a dollar a bundle I guess you really can't go wrong!

When we got home Billy started mixing up the scone mix and realized that instead of 3/4 cup of water, he mixed in 1 and 3/4 cups. So we decided to make a scone cake instead of individual ones, and baked them in the oven at a much lower temperature for a lot longer. They actually turned out really good! And since scones tend to dry out super fast it will be nice that they will last longer (if I don't eat them all). Sticky Fingers Bakeries makes the best scone mix ever, and blueberry? Who could resist?

3 comments:

Erika said...

It looks yummy. I have never tried beets other than what comes in salads. Beets are very popular in New Zealand. They put them on everything. They even come on your hamburger at McDonalds if you want them to. Hope they turn out good:)

Hey Lady! said...

I'm jealous you can still drink hot tea! It's already in the upper 90s in the Lone Star State!

Krista said...

I love your Saturday! Scones, Tea, farmers market and a sweet husband? Sounds perfect!