Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Birthday Surprise!

So I have had this wingback chair for more than four years now, sitting collecting dust and webs. It was originally covered in a hideous textured fabric, kind of like the color of old butter. But having received for free, I had high hopes of having it recovered in one of my favorite fabrics of all time, Norfolk Rose from Waverly. I even bought eleven yards on sale at Joanne's in anticipation of getting it done in a hurry for when we got married - I thought it would be a snap. Then I found out that it would be around $300 to have reupholstered. HAHAHAHAAA. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN ANYTIME SOON. That roll has been in the closet for two years. And the chair? Still collecting more dust and more webs in the garage.

But then, this Saturday something glorious happened...

For my birthday Billy and his mom schemed to have my wingback chair recovered as a gift from her and Bill and Brian and Heather (brother and sister-in-law in Texas). It was a total surprise! I came home Saturday to find Billy and his parents in the living room there to surprise me with the chair - dude, I was in total shock. Doesn't it look amazing??

This fabric is more gorgeous on the chair than I even imagined.

And the details? Holy cow, they are just wonderfully crafted. The shop even sanded and re-varnished the legs , which were totally scuffed and nicked. I am still in shock that it is done after all these years and I can't wait to make a contrasting pillow to go on it and maybe even find a matching foot rest that I can recover in the leftover fabric I have. And I think I am going to put a floor lamp beside it too.

The funniest part was that the chair that had been in the garage and the huge roll of upholstery fabric that had been in the office closet had been out of the house for weeks leading up to this - and I didn't even have a clue. That big chair that took up so much space in our little garage was gone and I didn't even notice! Shows you how much I was paying attention!

Thank you sooo much Bill and Susan and Brian and Heather! It is such a wonderful Birthday gift; more that I could have ever asked for!

3 comments:

Erika said...

Wow, it looks beautiful!! What a great surprise!

Krista said...

What a blessing. There is nothing better than the feeling of being completely surprised like that. You are so loved and blessed. Looks like a birthday to remember. The Chair is FABULOUS. Hmmmm... I think I might need one now too.

Hey Lady! said...

You so deserve it too! We love you so much and it looks amazing! I can't wait to see it in person!