Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Weekend Away

This weekend we drove up to Monterey for a little vacation. For those of you who have never been to Monterey, it is a gorgeous place to visit, especially if you love the ocean and sealife.

We stayed at The Clement Monterey (which was only four months old - wahoo!) and I would highly recommend it. It's right on Cannery Row it is right on the ocean and like five doors down from the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Although touristy (which I am not wild about) Cannery Row is especially fun to stay on because everything used to be canning facilities back through the early to mid 20th century. There is a ton of history there - so many memories for so many people.

Saturday we went to the aquarium which was enormous for one and filled with all kinds of things I had never seen. The jellyfish were some of my favorites - and definitely not the kind you see in Carlsbad. There were some that had hairs that were so long that they were all wrapped up together. As they moved their tangles would just melt away.

There was some serious discussion going on between the otters. All I could hear were snippets, but I could tell it was totally political.

We were lucky enough to catch feeding time several of the times we walked up to various exibits. This tank (which holds the largest solid piece of glass in the world) was filled with sharks, huge fish and sardines. Everyone in the tank was on fast forward, including the school of sardines below, which were twisting and turning in some of the most beautiful patterns. After watching them for a while I realized I had drifted off to la-la land. Nothing surprising.

On our way home we stopped in Solvang which is the Dutch capital of America, and everything pretty much looked like this. Sooo cute. There were windmills galore and some of the cutest shops.

But my favorite shop? Jule Hus. Right up my alley. They had everything Christmas and lots of it. I could have spent all day browsing Dutch and German hand blown ornaments. A couple years ago I started collecting ornaments when I would go on trips. Not cheesy touristy ones, but ones that I loved and could remember my trip by when I pulled them out of the box every year.

Here were my picks. It's never too early for a little Christmas right?

4 comments:

Erika said...

Sounds like a lovely time! I never made it to Solvang...always to eager to get down south, or too much in a hurry to get back up north. It looks cute! Glad you guys had a chance to have a little getaway!

Hey Lady! said...

I'm so happy you all had fun! I love Monterey, and Solvang. The shopping and the food is awesome in both places, and there isn't much better in life then good food and good shopping, and good company!

Anonymous said...

Erika failed to tell you on our trip to the aquarium we changed the direction of the sardines by walking around the tank in the opposite direction the fish were swimming!
Quite a few other people joined us.

Vista Gal

Celestial said...

Oh Solvang and split-pea-soup!

My mother dragged me there a couple times when I was young. Of course I just liked the shops and motor boats (doubt they have those anymore I think I was 7!)