Monday, April 6, 2009

Ode to The Pumpkins

I was twelve in 1995 when The Smashing Pumpkins released Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness. My brother had the set and we played it over and over in his room. It was so much more than my 7th grade brain could handle but I loved every second of it. I remember at the time watching the Tonight, Tonight music video on MTV and thinking it was the coolest thing I ever saw, and I have to say that I think it is still my all time favorite music video. I would also like to include that The Smashing Pumpkins is probably at the very top of my list of favorite bands of all time. The song and video was rad then and it is completely rad now.

If you have never watched the video or would care to admit that it has been some time since you have, I would highly recommend you take a few minutes out of your day to watch it. I heard it on the radio this morning on my way to work and I have to admit playing it at an ungodly high volume and screaming the words at the top of my lungs. The Pumpkins rock. The End.

4 comments:

Erika said...

Yea, they are/were very cool. Shane turned me on to them way back when. I especially like Tonight, Tonight:)

Hey Lady! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hey Lady! said...

When I was in high school they were all the rage (everyone had "Siamese Dream" and "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness"), my class particularly like the song "1979" (as it was the year we were all born). I've always liked "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" myself.

Celestial said...

Haha, I'm bored at work so I'm reading through old blog posts of various friends. As I was scrolling down the page I saw the still image from the video and said to myself, "That's the Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness!"

I was totally a pumpkins girl in high school. In fact for a short while I would fall asleep listening to this song play over and over.

Not too long ago I was talking about this video and hubby had never seen it. A short while later we were watching it. Oh the memories!

I always knew there were reasons you seemed like a kindred spirit right from the start!

(hugs)