Friday, April 10, 2009

Tutorial - Paper Circles

Paper Circles. I guess I could have come up with a better name for what they are - paper moons, pleated medallions, but alas, they are paper circles. I have had a couple requests for me to show how I make these bad girls, the process is so simple, so stay with me. Oh boy! You could even follow along! (excuse my sarcasm, it's Friday and I am feeling feisty!) You may remember my recent use of these here, in this lovely Easter garland I made. Ok! Lets go.

First, pick your paper. I used 12x12 scrapbook paper in this example. 12 inches is the perfect length for these smaller circles. I am using a slide cutter here, which is one of the best tools for crafting that I have ever purchased. For this example I am going to measure a width of 1 inch for my slice - keeping in mind that the circle will be twice that when we are finished. I often trim one of my long edges with a scallop. You can use scissors or a slide cutter of sorts for this.
Ok, so now we are going to start the accordion fold. Start at one end and fold making sure that your folds line up and are smooth. I spy a helper in our midst.
It is easy to get sloppy when doing the accordion fold - especially when using heavy scrapbook paper like I am here. Go slow!
The distractions! Isn't she the cutest? Back to work...
So now we have our accordioned strip which looks nice and neat. Awesome.
Now with a hot glue gun we are going to tack the two ends together. It will make the last couple steps a bit easier if you tack the ends with the side of paper you like showing on the outside.
So now we have our tacked ends which makes this wonky circle. I have been trying to find a use for that word in context all week. Hooray! Ok, now set the piece on a flat surface and gather the center together. This is tricky because it just wants to spring open.
Carefully tilt the edges out while holding it with enough pressure so that it doesn't spring open.
Drop some hot glue right in the center - enough for all the little folds to bond to.
After you have dropped the glue, carefully push the center down and give it a good few seconds to bond. Hot glue dries super fast on paper so it really won't take more than a few seconds.
Neato! You are all done! Now you can find a million uses for these when crafting. Fun times, my friends.

5 comments:

Hey Lady! said...

Ohhh! I'm so excited! Thank you thank you for sharing your secret! I can't wait to get a moment to get out all my crafting stuff and try these!

Modern Crush said...

You are welcome!! xo

Erika said...

You make it look so easy! They are awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tutorial!
What fun! And Kitty love too!

Tisra said...

I really want to do this, and it looks like it owuld be an addictive sort of craft where all of a sudden while watching a movie you have 30 or so, right? I'd hope. They would make a great garland.

Tisra
Erika's friend in TN
http://www.bdhq.net