Friday, May 8, 2009

To Warm Their Home

Last night I finished the last of the binding for the quilt I have been at for the last month. I have two crowns to make with a delivery date of this Sunday, and Billy told me I could absolutely not start the crowns until the quilt was done. Eek, I had to move fast. I am glad I listened to my husband though because I am so relieved to see it finished. It's evolution was at times tedious and stressful but it was worth it. I love its perfection and its faults alike, they make up its character - every quilt has its own personality. I hope my friends love it as much as I do, and hope that it will serve their home well.
Quilt2
My only regret is that I didn't have it machine quilted. It is tacked in increments with embroidery thread which is fine, but having machine quilted would have been lovely. It's ok, it would have cost a small fortune because this quilt is huge - just over 6 and a half feet square, and I had already spent a lot on the fabric itself - Amy Butler fabric isn't exactly the cheapest.
Oh ya! There is a little secret inside the batting... I slipped a 2009 penny in there. Just a little momento...

8 comments:

amy @ switz~art said...

Ooooh, I love it! Amazing job!!

Erika said...

I love it! And they will too. And if they don't, they can give it to me:)

Aaron and Katie said...

Fun I love it too. I remember in middle school when a lady from your church taught you how to sew a quilt together and I was so jealous it turned out fabulous. And here you are again.. amazing. Come live closer to me!

Modern Crush said...

Ha! Katie! I loved sewing with Eileen. She had this big upstairs loft that was filled with stacks and stacks of fabric. She really taught me a lot. But remember when you sewed the cow print bag? You learned how to sew in a zipper, and I still never have. Every time I think about learning how to sew a zipper I think about you in that bag! I still use that Christmas drawstring bag we made for the cookies, remember? I bring it out and use it every Christmas...

Hey Lady! said...

The quilt is so beautiful. I'm jealous! I know your friends will LOVE it, they'd be crazy not to.

Vista Gal said...

I love the fabrics!
What a great idea to place the penny inside!

Heather said...

Oh, but Amy Butler fabric is also sooooo scrumptious, no? Lovely quilt. And I love the idea of sticking a little penny in there. Rather sentimental, which I love.

Tamarinara said...

i love love love those fabrics! and your blog!