Sunday, June 28, 2009

Adventures with Kale

Kale
I decided to try making these kale chips I have heard people talking about. I have never had kale, nor have I ever purchased it. So off to the store I went to purchase kale, hoping it wasn't expensive considering I had no clue if I was going to like it. So a big bunch of kale? 79 cents? Deal. I was off and running. Back home I followed Erin's recipe from House on Hill road. I toss them with oil, I sprinkle them with salt, I kiss them off as their leafy lacy bodies slide into the oven. I wait, I wring my hands, I pace. Kale... would it be tasty? Or tasteless? Next I smell smoke. I throw open the oven and my lovelies are burnt burnt burnt. But not all. Some are still green. I take a taste. Hm. I take another taste. I decide I am not sold on the Kale, or their chippy selves. Not sure Kale and I are meant to be. But wait!! People love them! How can this be?! I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. That is what makes us civil after all. Perhaps... if they were dipped in chocolate.

3 comments:

Celestial said...

I've been really curious about this too. I might have to try it out. Maybe it's an acquired taste? Maybe with sea salt?

Modern Crush said...

Yes, I would imagine is could definitely be an acquired taste - I used sea salt and olive oil. Ha! Maybe I would like it better too if it wasn't sorta burnt:)

Vista Gal said...

I am going to try to make fried green tomatoes.