Saturday, July 4, 2009

Being American

4th2009
Francis Scott Key (1779-1843) composed the Star Spangled Banner September 13th 1814, which much later became the official American national anthem. The whole thing is actually 4 paragraphs long, much longer then what we sing at ballparks, but not that many people know that. It is a beautiful piece, and I suppose you couldn't expect less from a poet.

There is a line near the end that has always stuck in my mind... "Then conquer we must, when our cause is just, And this be out motto: 'In God we trust.'" Can you imagine a country that conquers only when their cause is completely just? And furthermore can you imagine our personal motto being "In God we trust"? This idea gives me chills and really gets me thinking. 

In grade school we would recite the pledge daily and would then practice singing American songs, like God Bless the USA and America the Beautiful. Kids aren't allowed to do that anymore. In some places in the country they don't even say the pledge. It is no wonder young generations have no clue what it means to be patriotic. Makes me think of my mom, who in her 50's became an American citizen after living as a legal resident from Canada since her early 20's. The day she swore in she was SO excited to represent America as a citizen. To be American is a true privilege for her and I know I sometimes take that for granted a lot myself. I think our forefathers were some of the bravest most noble people I can think of, so much more than most people today. Many of them were stand up men, and I truly thank them for composing a country in which I have so much freedom. I am proud to be American! Happy 4th of July everyone...

2 comments:

Celestial said...

Happy 4th to you too!

I also grew up saying the pledge every morning in school. Sometimes when I try to say it I trip myself up and forget words, and that makes me all the more determined to get it right.

Hope you have had a lovely weekend.

Erin said...

Great post! I love it. Being American is a great thing! :-) A very ahppy (belated) 4th of July to you!