Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Olde Moon on Hallowe'en

Moon1
I am sure I am not the only one here that can say that I adore vintage postcards, and the amazing artwork that covers each inch. It is fun to imagine that people actually sent these come the holidays, to wish one another a happy harvest time, a haunting Halloween, or even as just a neighborly gesture to say an autumn 'hello.' One of my very favorite themes among these old greetings is the moons with faces. I am smitten with them, they absolutely charm me! If I had a great big giant moon image with a face like one of these, ohh I would have a place or two to hang it for sure.
Moon2Corr
This face in the moon, this figure way up there, signifies Halloween to me. You see, the way I see it is that the moon's light, although often dim, touches everything in the evening - it is so involved with the night. It touches all things on Halloween. Just like the postcard above says, "When the world is wrapped in slumber, and the moon is sailing high..." I am not really into witches and demons and devils at Halloween time, but the moon... that wise old moon. He's pretty cool to me.
Moon1Corr

4 comments:

erika said...

I love them:) I wish I could send you one. Can't wait for Halloween!

Clarity said...

I adore vintage cards and that moon reminds me of the first film ever filmed in France, remember that chalky moon face?

"When the world is wrapped in slumber, and the moon is sailing high..."

I wonder where that is from.

Lovely post!

Pamela said...

I really love the look of these post cards!

jen said...

vintage halloween postcards are some of my favorite things as well!