Friday, January 8, 2010

The Forest Quilt

ErikasQuilt2
I've been dying to show you the fabric I bought for this quilt for months, but since it was for a Birthday present, I couldn't spill it just yet! I made Erika this charming quilt for her Birthday this year, and there was only one issue I had with it - I wanted to keep it like no other. I am going to have to make another for myself, I love it that much. I modeled it off a quilt that I saw on Maisonnette's blog - in a class that Madeline held, a student had chosen all theses fabrics to compose her quilt, and when I saw it I fell in love. Madeline from Maisonette helped me pick out all the same fabrics, Mostly Joel Dewberry and Amy Butler, and we sized down the yardage from the original to enough for a good sized lap quilt.
ErikasQuilt1
One of my favorite parts was seeing each panel sew up so quickly. Some rectangles were small, but some were huge as you can see, so it went fast. It was really difficult to measure the largest pieces, I dont have a long ruler and I dont have a very large flat surface for laying fabric out. The dinner table is oval, and I don't have hardwood floors, so yeah, it was much more difficult than it needed to be. All this aside, the deer are enchanting, and the reds and yellows make a brilliant balance.
ErikasQuilt3
I hope it serves their house well! Lots of snuggles, lots of naps, lots of keeping warm and most of all, lots of cuddling.

7 comments:

Pamela said...

This is beautiful Georgia!

Celestial said...

Oh I love it! I'm not usually one for deer (or animals in general) in the prints, but this is completely chick. Beautifully done and I'm positive it will be well used.

Elizabeth said...

OK, where did you get that fabulous fabric with the deer???

I can see why you wanted to keep it!

Elizabeth said...

HI it's me again :) If you can get a hold of the December issue of "Fine Cooking" there is a whole article, complete with how to make them (tamales) Other wise, just buy a bag of masa harina, and there most likely will be a recipe for the filling on the bag. They are fun to make and freeze well.

amy @ switz~art said...

Wow! I'd wanna keep it, too!
It's perfection! Fabulous work!

Happy Friday, Georgia!

erika said...

I am the luckiest girl alive!! I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it and have snuggled under it every day since you gave me it. It is gorgeous and did I mention that I love it?? Thank you soooo much!!

Madeline said...

Georgia! This couldn't get any more beautiful!!! I wouldn't want to give it away either!!!! Finishing a quilt is such a great feeling, and seeing someone you love enjoy it is even better!! WOW! LOVE IT!
xoxo Madeline