Wednesday, March 17, 2010

How To Catch A Leprechaun

Clover
We seriously were going to catch him, we had made up our minds. We gathered our materials. Green plastic strawberry pint basket, 'y' shaped stick to use to prop it open, and of course, the cluster pennies we had, stashed in our rooms. At the age of 5 or 6, my brother Cole and I crept out the night before St. Patrick's Day and set our little "leprechaun trap." Oh, we slept in anticipation of the wee man we were convinced we would find trapped in the basket.

It was early when we got up - a misty morning I remember, wet with dew. We crept quiet as we could out to the driveway where our trap lay, to see if a leprechaun had crept into the propped open basket to steal the coins. We got closer... and yes!!!! The stick had fallen and the basket had dropped! There was something inside!!! A leprechaun!!! It worked!!! Cole and I gathered round the basket and carefully lifted the trap, eyes wide, fingers nervous.

What we found was astounding. It was......... a cricket. With a missing leg. Looking at each other we agreed that leprechauns must be a more sneaky kind than we assumed. At least we still had our pennies. True story. And I'm part Irish to-boot.

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I'll have a pint on that!

xo

8 comments:

erika said...

I love that story! The best. Ethan's teachers do super fun stuff at school, but I think I need to get on it for next year. Poor boy barely had any green to wear today!

Pamela said...

I love it! Thanks for sharing such a heartwarming story!

The Peek Family said...

Love it!

amy @ switz~art said...

that story is awesome, georgia! it made me giggle!

thanks for the pampas grass advice...hmmm...not sure what to do....hmmmm...

happy st. patty's day, girl!

Hey Lady! said...

So cute! I can just imagine you and your brother running around as kids! Hope your St. Patty's day was wonderful! Love you!

Celestial said...

Oh this is great!

I've been wearing my Ireland t-shirts all week.

overthetopstudios said...

What a great story my dear. I never did this but my kids tried to trap a leprchaun when the were wee ones.
They didn't catch anything but came to the same conclusion you did - Leprchauns are sneeky ;)
Hugs,
Amada

Elecat said...

Classic! What a fun memory, thanks for sharing. :)