Friday, April 2, 2010

Making Hot Cross Buns {On Good Friday}

HotCrossBunsA
Hot Cross Buns! I made them! I had never used the breadmaker before, so it was sort of an experiment. They turned out awesome though, despite me not having any clue what I was doing. The dough mixture called for cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves - so delightful to see this instead of the dry and very bland version I am sure we all have tried over the years from various Dutch bakeries.
HotCrossBunsB
I thought they were very appropriate for a Good Friday breakfast treat. Upon reflection of the significance of Good Friday, I can't help but marvel at the sacrifice that was made for me. And you. And all of us.

xo

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Those look very good! I think the store ones have ruined them for me. Maybe I'll try to make them next year.

overthetopstudios said...

These are lovely! I haven't made them for a few years. Yours look great and the recipe sounds interesting. I, like you, am always in awe of the sacrifice made for me.
Hugs Sweetie and a blessed Easter
Amada

erika said...

Where have I been? Never been to a Dutch bakery or had one anywhere. They look tasty! Did you get Friday off? I hope you did! Can't wait to read your Easter post with pics of the hunt and the cake.

rachel said...

those look great! i have been meaning to make hot crossed buns. when i was in 1st grade, i memorized a poem about them, and had to recite it at class. then my mom brought in hot crossed buns for everyone to enjoy. i think that was the last time that i had them!