Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sewing Lesson {Part 1}

If you live around here, and you have an eye for fantastic fabric, then surely you have shopped at Maisonnette. Trust me, if there was a cubby large enough for me and a mini fridge for my bon bons I would live in there if I could. For Christmas I told my mom that if she really loved me (I kid) she could gift me with a lesson with Madeline at Maisonnette. Two hours of private lessons for $25 (!) To my pleasant surprise she took my suggestion to heart (my dear mother does love me!) and gave me $40 for a lesson and supplies. I decided a while back that I wanted to make a purse, but because I have never sewn anything more than straight lines for quilts I thought I would really like someone to help me through it - someone who knows what they are doing.

So now I have my lesson paid for, and my fabric picked out:
Parisville
When Tula Pink's Parisville line came out last year I saw these fans and fell in love. I am going with the colorway on the right, with the blues and greens.

I still have to pick my purse pattern, which is what has been delaying me from getting this going. I like my purses to be a good size, so I can carry my sketchbook, my water bottle, a snack, my fingerless gloves, and about eighteen other things around with me. I don't care if it's heavy - I want it to fit!

If any of you have a great pattern (preferably that you have used yourself) I'd love to hear about it. I am feeling inclined to go with Amy Butler's Birdie Sling but for some reason it's not exactly what I had in mind. Maybe if the straps tied at the shoulder in a bow to give it more character? I want pleats, I like bows, and I'd like something that no one else has. I have about 15 patterns bookmarked in my delicious, but I still can't decide!

Maybe I will give myself until the end of the week :)

10 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a fun little shop! Can't wait to see what you make!!

Pattie said...

oh how exciting! You are going to have so much fun, great fabric choices btw :)

Celestial said...

Here is a link to Sew Mama Sew's "bag" pattern listing.

http://www.sewmamasew.com/store/ecom-catshow/PTPURSE.html

My favories are:
High Street Messenger Bag
Eco Market Tote
Diaper Bag - Craft Apple (hey, doesn't have to carry diapers!)

You'll have to tell us what you pick out so that we can cheer you on!

Karin Grow said...

Here's one that looks super simple and ties at the top. I haven't made it yet, but I did sew the amy butler one you spoke of. I made mine reversible. Happy sewing!

http://www.marthastewart.com/good-things/sleeper-of-a-bag?autonomy_kw=pillowcase

Cara said...

I like this pattern a lot: http://store.annamariahorner.com/muto.html

But I've never tried it!

erika said...

That is such a great gift idea! How fun! I have always liked the birdie sling, but I know what you mean about it needing a little something.... I want to check out your delicious!

Chelsea said...

oh fun and exciting!!!!! Can't wait to see what you come up with. I have never sewed anything other than pajama pants at age 11 sooo I don't have any advice on a pattern. What a great gift! xo

bink and boo said...

Fun! I have been DIE-ING to get to that shop. I must go this week! Can't wait to see what you make.

Hey Lady! said...

Somehow I missed this post before...

It's funny you say you want to learn to "sew", I am the opposite, I want to learn to quilt. I can make a purse (obviously) and aprons and skirts, etc. But quilting... I need to find someone to give me lessons in THAT. Also, if you want to pattern I used for the purse you have, I can send you the brand and number, it was reasonably priced.

swonderful said...

i love that fabric! is it crazy expensive? now that i can sew (ha ha ha ha) i get the rush of finding pretty fabric.