Friday, November 18, 2011

Catalina

CatalinaA
CatalinaC
CatalinaB
CatalinaD
CatalinaE
CatalinaG
CatalinaF
CatalinaH
CatalinaI
Sunday we took a boat out to Catalina Island. It stormed the day before so the sky was clear and everything else was fresh and clean and the air was beautiful. It was the perfect day to go.

Catalina seemed very "Lord of the Flies" to us. Piggy, Ralph and Jack could of hopped out of the landscape demanded to know what we were doing on their island. It was such a small little place and I found myself wondering what kind of weird folk decide they want to make home there. Aside from the cluster of homes and dock and airport, the rest of the island was just wild brush. I guess the attraction is that they live on an island...? Our conclusion was that Catalina was beautiful, but a strange place.

One fun thing that we saw - there were cats everywhere. Feral cats live all over the island and they were some of the most majestic creatures I've seen! Especially the one I saw that looked like a miniature lion - what a beard it had!

6 comments:

Hey Lady! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hey Lady! said...

Many travel channel shows have made Catalina Island their subject, mostly due to the numerous claims that it's haunted.

I (thankfully) didn't get the Lord of the Flies feel when I was there. That would have scared me. I'd be afraid the pig head on the stick (the actual "Lord of the Flies")would be lurking around the next bush. Then I remember what happened after the head spoke to Simon...

But anyway, it's a cool place with a lot of history. And some of the most expensive real estate in the country. My OBGYN has a house there. Makes me think we over pay him...

Beautiful pictures!

Celestial said...

Looks beautiful. And how odd about all the cats!

Lisa MacArthur said...

Georgia, that photo of you with the hat and the loose braid....GEORGEOUS!!!!

Lisa MacArthur said...

Hi Georgia,
That photo of you with the hat and the loose braid is GEORGEOUS!!!

Katie said...

Did you have some shrimp. We can leave Catalina without shrimp.. and clam chowder. Their food is so yummy there!

I think there is a story about those cats. I'll have to think about it.

I didn't know Billy was growing such a beard. Is there an occasion?