Thursday, April 12, 2012
So for just about any special occasion we make champagne cocktail. It is something Billy's family makes regularly and my sister Deanna and I have adopted it as a celebratory habit for just about anything. Champagne (or sparkling wine as many are technically called) is by far my favorite booze drink, and the champagne cocktail rivals none. People usually have no idea what I'm talking about when I mention the champagne cocktail and I'm a bit sad for all who don't know what they're missing! So here is how to make it...
1. Start with some Champagne or sparkling wine. My favorite for the last few years has been Montcadi "Cava" sparkling wine from Spain. I buy it at the Fresh & Easy for $4.99. It is a jewel, let me tell you. Ok, so you have your champagne.
2. Next you will need some champagne glasses. My parents don't have them so when we make it at their house we have to improvise with wine glasses - lame. Alas, however, a glass is a glass.
3. Drop a sugar cube at the bottom of each glass.
4. Liberally sprinkle "Angostura bitters" over your sugar cube. You can find these inexpensive bitters at most grocery stores.
5. Peel a couple lemon zest strips and place in each glass.
Now it's time to pour the champagne! Don't be scared, it wont spray everywhere. Here's a tip that works for me every time when opening the bottle - hold on the the cork with one hand and the bottle with the other, and twist the bottle not the cork.
Ooooo, that's money.
Cheers to you sis!
A tasty sip indeed!
I hope you'll give this a try!