Friday, November 9, 2012

Early Autumn

FigWCheeseA FigWCheeseB
FigWCheese
There is something about the way the light filters through the trees that makes the Autumn months irresistable. Maybe its the rays of hard light that come through my blinds, or maybe its the cool wind that makes the row of eucalyptus rustle. It simply could be the chilled morning air and the clucks coming from the hens in the coop next door. More than once I have found myself sinking into my covers while the light dances around the room, and I get that old feeling of comfort once again.

Autumn is a fantastic time to rejoin the way we eat with the season at hand. Figs must be one of the most indulgent fruits that comes to mind. A few weeks ago I picked up a large flat of figs from my local Trader Joes and since no one else really eats them I ate every single one. A fig salad with arugula and honey is one of my favorite ways to use them, as is figs topped with crumbled gorgonzola and honey, as seen above. The figs with gorgonzola is a simple snack or appetizer that tastes as delightful as it looks. Just pile a pinch of crumbled gorgonzola on top of each fig half and then drizzle all with honey. Magnificent!

1 comment:

Katie said...

They look delicious!I would eat them with you!